terça-feira, 26 de fevereiro de 2013

O peso dos livros

Para quem, como eu, já carregou muito livro escada-acima, escada abaixo.

The weight of books


Books are about the interior journey. And yet, there is another side of books, their physical presence: the sheer weight of all those volumes, the space they occupy.

My wife calls me the scavenger of shelves. It’s not necessarily a term of endearment, uttered more in the spirit of toleration, or exasperated love. We’ve been together for a long time, more than thirty years, and she’s had no choice but to come to a reckoning with my book absorption, with a library that grows and grows again.
“The books are taking over the house,” she told me, not for the first time, after I had completed a massive reshelving project, close to 4,000 volumes and more than 100 shelves, stretching from the living room into our bedroom, then down the hall to the dining room and my home office, everything alphabetized by author, David Aaronovitch to Stefan Zweig.
It’s the kind of project I take on every seven years or so, usually precipitated by a move. This time, though, the inciting incident was my 50th birthday, for which I gave myself the only gift I truly wanted: a set of built-in, floor-to-ceiling shelves. [continua]

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário